Recently we were tasked with transforming a Lagoon 50 in to an Energy Harvesting Machine.
Our client had opted out of having a standalone generator installed by the
factory and these boats are not delivered with solar or wind generation.
Destined for warmer and sunnier climes, our design brief was to come up with a power generation, storage and distribution system that would collect as much opportunistic energy as possible using, wind, solar and the main engines.
The owner wanted autonomy, flexibility and comfort whilst using the
vessel. With lots of electronic equipment and high house loads to deal
with, we needed to spec an effective battery bank, that could be charged
quickly and offer enough power to run A/C overnight – without the drone
of a diesel generator.
We installed a Twin Integrel system to the vessel, with the energy
being stored in a large 48V battery bank, which is the highest possible
voltage within “safe” DC operational limits. We then integrated the solar
and wind inputs on to the 48V power busbar.
From this, we can step the voltage down to supply the 12V house loads
using DC-DC Converters and we can also supply both 230V 50 Hz and
110V 60 Hz with two dedicated inverters.
Here’s the complete system specification:
- 2 Integrel “on engine generators” rated at 9kW peak each,fitted on the twin Yanmar 4JH80 diesel engines.
- 2 Integrel system controllers
- 7 Integrel battery sensors allowing the captain to have full-disclosure and monitoring of his battery bank, these sensors are installed on:
- 2 Sensors off 48v Torqeedo li ion battery banks
- 2 sensors on the 12v lead acid engine start batteries
- 3 sensors on the 12v lead acid house banks
We then completed the installation with the following kit:
- Integrel smart battery safety switches
- 1 Integrel user interface screen
- 42kWh of Torqeedo 24v 3500Ah lithium ion batteries, divided into two 48v banks, each consisting of 6 blocks connected in a 3 parallel, 2 series configuration
- 2 off 30A 48v to 12v Victron DC DC converters
- 1 off 10kVA 48v 230v 50Hz Victron Quattro inverter charger
- 2 off 5kVA 48v 110v 60Hz Victron inverter charger
All inputs are commoned together on the 48v DC power bus:
230v 50Hz and 110v 60Hz