Frequently Asked Questions
We get lots of questions about our system; you’ll find the most popular questions below.
If you need more information, Search our FAQs or Contact us and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
How much power does the Integrel System generate?
Up to 18kW! The Integrel System can generate up to 9kW of energy for a monohull and up to 18kW of energy on a multihull as you’ll need two systems.
What are the differences between a generator and an Integrel System?
The Integrel System completely replaces a fossil-fuel powered generator.
The most obvious difference is that the Integrel System does not require a separate engine. This means that the fitting costs are less than for a stand-alone generator with no need for through-hull fittings and no separate fuel, exhaust or cooling systems. Lifetime maintenance costs are also substantially less as Integrel only needs a periodic belt change; no more second engine checks and maintenance schedules.
The Integrel System also improves the fuel efficiency of the propulsion engine, reducing overall vessel fuel consumption by up to 25%. It is fully automatic, managing electrical power generation, storage, conversion and distribution in one package.
Our system lets you reduce the size of your 12V and 24V house battery banks with its powerful battery-to-battery charging capability, and reduces the size and weight of the cabling for power hungry consumers such as bow thrusters, windlasses and winches.
Why does a catamaran need two Integrel Systems?
The Integrel system is self-organising and can run with two Generators connected together, sharing the load as needed with no user intervention required. Two systems provide redundancy and balanced engine running hours; they can also charge multiple battery banks at twice the rate of a single system and can support high continuous loads.
How is the Integrel System different from a high power alternator?
The Integrel system is much more than just a generator; it is a complete power generation, storage, conversion and distribution system.
The Integrel Generator itself is manufactured specifically for Integrel Solutions and is very different from a conventional high-power alternator:
- The Generator delivers rated power continuously. For example, with an ambient temperature of 25°C, the generator delivers a constant 8.3kW.
- The coupling of the magnetic flux between the rotor and stator has been dramatically improved to give a very high generation efficiency.
- The windings have been designed to give the specific voltage range needed and to provide unusually high power output at low revs. With a suitable engine, up to 3.5kW of DC output power is available at low engine idle.
- The generator itself has no embedded electronics and much improved cooling airflow to better manage high power output.
- The customised engine mountings are specifically designed to minimise side loads on the engine, eliminate shock loading, and maximise belt life.